The itchy anus is a skin condition characterized by an itchy sensation in or around the anus, which is an embarrassing and uncomfortable feeling. The feeling of anal itching usually increases at night or after each bowel movement and is accompanied by burning, redness, and pain. It is more common in men, and it can also be itchy anus is temporary, or continuous, depending on the cause. It gets worse at night and after passing stool. This condition affects 1% – 5% of people, meaning that it is widespread.
The itchy anus will lead to scratches in the area, causing numerous infections and sores. The area is a very good environment for some types of bacteria, and the hand that has been scratched will come out loaded with many pathological pollutants.
Itchy anus has many causes, as 75% is caused by one of the causes that will be mentioned, and 25% of cases are classified as idiopathic anal itching.
Causes of anal itching
The causes of anal itching cannot be determined in many cases, but there are many possible causes such as some health problems, wrong habits, and diet. Some of them are mentioned below:
Itchy anus due to exposure to skin irritants
Exposure to some skin irritants is one of the causes of anal itching, such as:
- Use of soap, hot water, excessive use of wet wipes, and vigorous rubbing with rough tissue paper are among the causes of anal itching.
- Suffering from chronic urinary or fecal incontinence is one of the most common causes of anal itching in children and the elderly.
- Not paying attention to good hygiene or over-regulating and washing vigorously after using the bathroom.
- Wear tight underwear or fabrics that cause itching, such as wool and synthetic fibers.
Itchy anus due to diet
Diet is one of the causes of anal itching, as excessive consumption of caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, chocolate, nuts, citrus fruits, tomatoes, tomato products such as ketchup, spicy food, and dairy products can increase the risk of anal itching. Itching around the anus.
Itching of the anus due to skin diseases
The itchy anus can be caused by some skin conditions such as:
- Scabies is one of the most common causes of itching around the anus in student housing and nursing homes where people spend a lot of time near each other, and sharing clothes, towels, and bedding leads to its spread, and when more than one person in the same family is infected with scabies that causes itching Around the anus the whole family is treated as in pinworms.
- Psoriasis is a chronic condition that can affect the skin around the anus and is one of the causes of anal itching.
- Contact dermatitis is a skin rash that causes itching in the anus due to skin sensitivity to some creams, lotions, washing powders, and wet wipes due to the chemicals they contain.
Itching of the anus due to hemorrhoids
- The relationship between suffering from hemorrhoids and itching is clear, as hemorrhoids are one of the causes of itching in the anus, which are swollen veins in the rectum or anus that can occur due to suffering from constipation or at birth.
- Itching from hemorrhoids can be relieved naturally by sitting in warm water for 15 minutes several times a day, especially after each bowel movement, drinking plenty of water, and eating plenty of fiber so as not to make hemorrhoid constipation worse.
Itchy anus due to anal fissure
- An anal fissure is a small wound inside the anus, and it is one of the causes of anal itching, and it can occur due to suffering from constipation, chronic diarrhea, or Crohn’s disease.
Itchy anus due to anal fistula
- Causes of anal itching include an anal fistula, which is a small abnormal channel that connects the end of the intestine to the outer skin surrounding the anus due to a serious infection, leading to fluid leakage and skin irritation, and anal itching.
- Suffering from Crohn’s disease, cancer, and radiation exposure increases the chance of infection, anal fistula, and anal itching.